Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Sunday 26 September 2010

The Mystery Man!!!!!

Following the recent poll on the next batch of nest box colours (thanks to those who voted) Green came out well on top with 60% of the vote, Brown pulled in 30% and 10% voted neither! Therefore to get the balance about right the 6 boxes erected today were 5 green and a solitary brown. 

Today's gofa, gate opener and ladder carrier giving me a hand was..........??????? Unfortunately his identify can't be revealed due to an ongoing police investigation, but hey I don't care what he has suppose to have done he wasn't harassing any dogs or cats when he was with me!

The mystery man! 


As last week I again drew the short straw and was the one going up the ladder (where's  Colin Green when you need him?). Yours truly in action, puffing and panting and it was only the first box!


The first box of the day and overall box No 35 was put up at Blaby, a different photo angle than the norm which shows the landing perch that was attached to make the comings and goings a little easier.


Box No 2 was also at Blaby.


The 3rd box was sited in an area that lies between two different breeding sites at South Wigston, there's high hopes for this box for next year?


The next location was not far from the only successful breeding site that used one of my boxes this year, hopefully the juveniles will have a familiarity with the box design..........if they can find it?


Different angle showing landing perch.


The fifth site and the only Brown box of the day was near to Peatling Magna, only 2 fields away from an established breeding site that raised 3 young this year.


The last selected site of the day was in an orchard near to Whetstone, I have never seen or heard any Little Owls here but the landowner thinks he has.......time will tell!


I only have 1 more box left to put up over at Brascote, but unfortunately time ran out today due to a richly deserved pit stop at the very hospitable General Elliot Public House at Willoughby, a superb couple of pints and complementary bar nibbles/sandwiches were gratefully received........well worth a visit if you are in the area, just tell them the "owl man" sent you there for your free pint!!!!!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment