Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Tuesday 31 May 2011

Long Slog Update.....

I have now finished reviewing my images from yesterdays "long slog" in the rain over at South Wigston and here are a few more images that have been salvage (with some post processing) to the point where I think they are "useable"?





4 comments:

  1. The slog was worth it – lovely images. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul,

    some fantastic images over the last few months but the 'long slog' ones are just superb!
    I've been following a local pair of Little Owls that were nesting under the eaves of a farmhouse. However, they've gone worryingly quiet and I've seen no sign of either adult for the past 10 days. I think the clutch may have failed due to a lack of food as a result of the exceptionally dry weather we've had here in Kent.
    I know LOs very rarely have two broods in a season but I don't suppose you'd know whether Little Owls will try for a second brood if the first one fails?

    Cheers,
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rob,

    Two broods is a raiety, in fact I have never come across one! As for your site going quiet over the last week or so, I would say this is quite normal. Chances are the hen owl will be sitting very tight in the final few days of incubation or even brooding her chicks. No worries with the dry weather, Little Owls are very resilient and will cope.

    ReplyDelete