Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Saturday 25 February 2012

Fair Share


This winter has been brilliant for over wintering SEO's (Short Eared Owl) in Britain, and here in Leicestershire we have had our fair share too!

I urge anyone living in the Leicestershire area who has yet to see one  this year to do so........and fast! Its hard to say just how much longer they will be with us before they start heading back to their northern breeding grounds, but it won't be long?

The ideal location to see them is in areas of rough pasture, they can be seen "floating" about on their massive outstretched wings hunting for voles. Early morning and late afternoon is normally the best time, and if one stands still adjacent to some suitable habitat it is amazing just how close they will come!

This winter I have had the privilege to see them at 5 different Leicestershire locations, but there has been reports/sightings from at least 9 different sites. Unfortunately one of these sites is on private land and needs to stay undisclosed but the others that have been disclosed are as follows.

Location/Peak Numbers.

Burton Lazars - 6
Hallaton - 14
Cossington Meadows - 4
Hicks Lodge - 3
Eyebrook Reservoir - 3
Rutland Water - 4
Cold Overton - 5
Longmoor Lake - 1
Undisclosed - 3  

I used the LROS (Leicestershire & Rutland Ornithological Society) news page to collate the majority of the reported sites and bird numbers, you too can keep tabs on what birds have been seen and where by clicking here LROS

This latest image was taken at Hallaton, (my 5th site) and thanks must go to John Turner for pointing me in the right direction.

So come on the folk of Leicestershire, get out there and see one for yourself before its too late, I'm sure you won't regret it......

1 comment:

  1. If I was anywhere near Leicestershire Paul, I'd be there in a heartbeat. I completely agree, people have got to get out there.

    Absolutely brilliant shot Paul. Blisteringly sharp detail.

    ReplyDelete