Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Sunday 2 September 2012

An expected lull.......

Its becoming very quiet out there now, and it hasn't come as a surprise, I've seen it like this before? After all the high activities of the breeding season the juveniles are now starting to disperse from the natal sites and the parent owls are hiding away and taking a well earned rest. Consequently it is becoming very difficult to locate any owls.
 
Twelve different sites were visited yesterday, and sightings were only made at two! To be fair it was a little early in the day but I couldn't go out at the best time for viewing (the evening) because I was off to the pub! The mighty Leicester City FC were live on the TV and I have to get my priorities right........don't I?
 
The first sighting of the day was this very angry looking owl, I think that scowl says it all........bugger off! 


The only other sighting I made was off the resident pair at my site No 157 near to the village of Gumley. This site isn't visited very often as it is situated right at the extreme of my current survey area. Previously any images from this site have all been rubbish, this is by far the best to date and a bonus pair too!


The sacrifice of leaving the owls early was worth it, City beat Blackpool 1-0, the march up the table is on and a few celebratory drinks were had!!!!

4 comments:

  1. I went to just one site today and saw three owls, you must be losing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep you may be right there mate, I was too excited pre the city game!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't blame you for that! Up the foxes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pics, wish I had lulls like that!

    ReplyDelete