Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Wednesday 16 January 2013

13.....Unlucky for some!

Only 50 minutes ago I chanced upon my latest Little Owl site, No 244! I was driving home along the narrow lanes near to Lutterworth, now normally I put my foot down along this particular stretch of road but because it was pitch black, foggy and very icy I was taking it steady. There is a certain bend on this road that even when the conditions are good it pays to slow down, as I was busy negotiating the dodgy bend something caught my attention........LITTLE OWL!!! It sat there bold as brass right in the middle of the road looking back at me. At first I thought the little fellow was injured, but as I got out of the car to investigate further off he flew.
 
That is now four new Little Owl sites that I have chanced upon in the last ten days, I guess I have just been lucky to have been in the right place at the right time?
 
What a start to 2013, some say the No 13 is unlucky, so far for me it isn't, hope it lasts! 

1 comment: