Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Saturday 12 April 2014

Tawny re-visited, again........

I know this blog is becoming a bit one dimensional of late but who honestly could resist it, a very local Tawny Owl site where the male bird shows in the daylight on a regular basis?? Well not me!!! As they say "make hay whilst the sun shines" so I made another visit on Thursday evening, the male bird was again showing well within 10 minutes of my arrival. 


Each time I visit I am learning more about this bird and it's habits, it certainly has a few favored perches which makes my life a little easier when deciding where to park and set up. Another bonus of late is the surrounding trees are just coming into leaf which offers a more pleasing background to my images. 


I had a go at getting some flight shots as it came through the pines, dam difficult at the best of times but with low light and a fast moving subject it was tough going. 



I now have loads of portrait images of this bird so now I am going to concentrate on attempting some improved flights shots during my up and coming visits, wish me luck!!!!

12 comments:

  1. I've never seen better Tawny images, Paul. Amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing flight shots Paul you've got a cracking bird showing really well and personally don't blame you for concentrating on the Tawny the LO's must be jealous, can't wait to see what you get next

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spending more time with the LO's is just around the corner Doug, but I am filling my boots with the TO's first!

      Delete
  3. Fed up now,,,,,,,,,,,,,stunning mate just stunning!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know it is getting boring Col, but I don't care really!!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hey a blast from the past, hope you are well Christian?? Sadly I don't do Facebook as my blog takes too much time to update as it is!

      Delete
  5. Fantastic.

    Don't the eyes look odd when seen in such good light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do Carl, a real rarity and a privilege to see them in the daytime.

      Delete
  6. Wow, fabulous photos! Well done!
    And here's an amazing clutch of Tawny Owl, which we found a few years ago:
    http://dzialprzyrody.blogspot.com/2014/04/niezwyky-leg-puszczyka-strix-aluco.html
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had a look at your link Dzial, amazing!!!!!

      Delete