Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Tuesday 13 May 2014

Little Owl Count.......

Back in the early days of this great owling roller coaster that I am now on I made acquaintance with a charming young lady called Emily Joachim. At the time Emily was working towards her PHD with the main subject matter being the demise of the Little Owl. Obviously we had a common interest and when I saw her appear on the BBC's "The One Show" I was compelled to make contact. 

Now that was a few years ago and ever since Emily and I have become good friends and have stayed in contact. She has made several visits to see me here in Leicestershire where we have gone out owling together. Some of the advice she gave me when I was a bit green was invaluable and still bares well today.

Anyway, I have recently been contacted again by my owl extraordinaire as she wanted to inform me of a new website that she was championing that is dedicated to the Little Owl and their sightings. Because the Little Owl is now majorly in decline in the UK Emily is attempting to create a database where she is actively encouraging the British public to participate by logging their encounters of this brilliant species. 

Please click on the image below and it will take you to the site.


I am sure you will all agree that it is a beautifully presented site with loads of information. All I ask now is that can you guys out there help Emily by uploading your encounters/sightings and images, I will be!!

Finally I must congratulate Emily on passing her PHD and the next time I see her I must remember to call her Doctor, mmmm I wonder if she will expect me to curtsy too??

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much Paul! The amount of time you spend seeking out your local little owls is inspirational. It shows what can be achieved with dedication, patience and a pair of binoculars. It is great that you have set up a nest box project as well and that you have asked your local ringing group to ring the chicks and submit nest records to BTO. I am sure that your blog has inspired many people to seek out this quirky and inquisitive species, particularly in your local patch. I enjoy reading your local owl news and viewing your latest little owl photos- keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link and your comments Emily, I do hope that you get plenty of participants.

    ReplyDelete