Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Sunday 17 January 2016

"Snowy Owls".

Hi all!!

This is my first post of 2016 and not surprisingly it features Little Owls. On the morning of January 17th Leicestershire awoke to a blanket of snow, this was encouragement enough to get me out there in search of some "snowy owls". 

The conditions made it tricky driving as I negotiated the slippery country lanes, but I had no option as to see an owl at one of my "known sites" getting deep into the countryside and off the beat and track was a necessity. Initially no owls were seen which was a disappointment, however my persistence was eventually rewarded when a single Little Owl was espied perched up in one of its favoured trees. The views were really close but its not exactly the "snowy" image I was after, I suppose beggars can't be choosers? 

Little Owl - Site No 87
Later on in the morning another Little Owl was located perched up on top of an old farm building, this bird was a lot further away than the first owl I located but this did allow for a bit more snow and nearer the wintry image I was after.

Little Owl - Site No 53
This morning was also the first time I have tried out the new Nissan 4 x 4 in "trying" conditions, it performed very well indeed and I didn't get stuck! 

Sorry it's only a short post, much more to come in 2016 hopefully!

Catch up again soon.................

15 comments:

  1. You can't beat that combination - nice shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots Paul. Loving the snowy theme. A new 4x4 then, looking forward to hearing/seeing more about the vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully it will serve me as well as the old Landie did?

      Delete
  3. Did the same myself this afternoon, you were much luckier than me. I saw naf all. Super shots Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I visited 20 or so sites, it was tough going and yes I was lucky in the end.

      Delete
  4. Going out in the snow certainly paid off for you, Paul! That first image is delightful.

    Looks like you had a lot more snow than we did. I toyed with the idea of going out but, as the snow was already quite slushy first thing, opted to attempt some photography in the garden instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we had a good fall of snow on sat night/sun morning Richard, I did op to brave it but didn't see as much as I'd like to have, cheers!

      Delete
  5. great photo...and nice scenery !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanks for stopping by and leaving your comment Alan, much appreciated!

      Delete
  6. They are well socialized, having been raised in our home as members of our
    own family in order for them to become ready to be a member of yours.
    They are quite comfortable around all ages, including the elderly and young children.
    When you purchase a bird from Us, we are committed to offering lifetime support and guidance to you and your family.

    Hand Raised Parrots for Sale, Macaw Parrots for Sale
    Macaws are playful and active and they have excited personalities to go along with their sizes.
    But this also makes them very challenging pets. They do have the ability to say words and mimic
    our speech but it is not as clear as some other pet bird species.
    Because they are so intelligent, macaws can be trained. You can start when your pet bird is young,
    and work on hand-feeding, teaching your bird to talk or sing, and training your macaw not to nip, bite, or scream.
    Text or call +1(512) 643-7439


    MACAW PARROTS
    Macaw Parrots For Sale

    blue macaw for sale

    blue and goald macaw breeder

    Scarlet Macaw

    defferent types of macaw available for sale

    blue headed macaw for sale

    parrots for sale

    macaw for sale near me

    red bellied macaw

    Text or call +1(512) 598-8125

    ReplyDelete