Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Tuesday 25 April 2017

Blowing the cobwebs away.........

After spending most of my free time during the winter months making and erecting Barn Owl boxes and barrels I had a very welcome and overdue "owling" session last night. Although very windy (not usually conductive for finding owls) it was however very bright during the last 2 hours before sunset.

Because time was limited I edged my bets and visited a location where I had previously seen Barn Owls in similar conditions.  Once there I slowly drove around the rough grassy area hoping to chance a hunting Barn Owl, this wasn't to be the case but instead I spotted a Little Owl flying across the field and up into a tree, I was compulsed to investigate further.

I slowly drove around to where I thought it had landed only to find a very nice looking cavity about 10 feet up, but no owl! I positioned the car in an advantageous position and waited........ After a wait of around 10 minutes the owl appeared at the cavity, this offered a great photo opportunity.


It sat at the cavity for a while scanning around making sure the coast was clear before it re-emerged. Luckily right next to the tree is a sheep pen which offered a variety of different perches for it to use.

 

After a while the owl flew and landed on top of the Hawthorne hedge, seconds later it was joined by a second owl, not sure where this bird had been hiding?


As the sun set both owls seemed to gain more confidence and moved around from perch to perch, one of them even dropped down into the tussocky grass right in front of the car! 


Eventually I was beaten by the light and reluctantly departed, whilst driving back up the field another larger bird (presumably an owl?) was seen flying across my path and up into a tree. As I slowly approached I could see it was a Tawny Owl!!!

It sat perched high up in the tree and didn't batter an eyelid at my presence! I slowly got got out of the car and pointed the camera up at it. It was almost dark, 8:44pm, at an ISO of 2000 I could only muster a shutter speed of 1/30 of a second whilst hand holding the camera (sorry for boring those who don't know photography settings). I wasn't very hopeful of attaining a photo that was going to be usable but among the rubbish I did have this one "usable" image.   


It was a very enjoyable couple of hours with the owls, two new sites that I will surely be visiting again soon...........

Thanks for stopping by, hopefully another post soon! In the meantime if you would like to keep tabs with my day to day activity with the owls I am now posting on twitter,  @PMRiddle

Cheers!!

21 comments:

  1. Wonderful to see you back on Blogger, Paul, and with a super post too! I particularly like the first and last LO images. The Tawny image is none too shabby also ! ;D

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its been a busy winter with all the box making mate, thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. Nice post mate,like the two on the hedge line..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paul and welcome back, you have been missed. Great post to return with of course your Little Owls and the Tawny, you did well to get a useable image at 1/30. All the best and look forward to the follow on. John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow the light on the Little Owls is gorgeous, cracking images mate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Paul
    Again very nice pictures, the wait was really worth it
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
  6. fantastic shots of Little Owls and the Tawny.. The Blog covert is marvelous.. Congrats..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful owl images...

    http://www.grsshoes.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post with great bunch of information! Thanks for the post. Keep up your good work. Check back my status Best Math Puzzle. (Y) always write post like of above. It's really amazing to read such post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are well socialized, having been raised in our home as members of our
    own family in order for them to become ready to be a member of yours.
    They are quite comfortable around all ages, including the elderly and young children.
    When you purchase a bird from Us, we are committed to offering lifetime support and guidance to you and your family.

    Hand Raised Parrots for Sale, Macaw Parrots for Sale
    Macaws are playful and active and they have excited personalities to go along with their sizes.
    But this also makes them very challenging pets. They do have the ability to say words and mimic
    our speech but it is not as clear as some other pet bird species.
    Because they are so intelligent, macaws can be trained. You can start when your pet bird is young,
    and work on hand-feeding, teaching your bird to talk or sing, and training your macaw not to nip, bite, or scream.
    Text or call +1(512) 643-7439


    MACAW PARROTS
    Macaw Parrots For Sale

    blue macaw for sale

    blue and goald macaw breeder

    Scarlet Macaw

    defferent types of macaw available for sale

    blue headed macaw for sale

    parrots for sale

    macaw for sale near me

    red bellied macaw

    Text or call +1(512) 598-8125

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful and a straight forward spell caster that has brought back joy and happiness into my life! Am giving this testimony because am so happy, I want to thank Dr. Osasu for the great thing He has done in my life , He brought happiness back to my life, I never believed in spell casters until my life fell apart when my lover of 6 years decided to call it quit almost when we wanted to get married. I was so emotional breakdown to the extent i could not do anything reasonable again, after 2months in pain before an old friend of mine introduced me to a spell caster on line called Dr Osasu, this was after I have been scammed by various fake spell casters. I was introduced me to Dr Osasu a true Spell Caster. In less than 24 hours i saw wonders, my lover came back to me and my life got back just like a completed puzzle, and after 1month later we got married and it was just like a dream to me because i thought i had lost him forever. Thank you Dr. Osasu for helping me but most of all, Your Honesty and Fast Accurate Results. email: Drosasu25@gmail.com WhatsApp Number: +2347064365391

    ReplyDelete
  11. Omg I Finally Got Helped  !! I'm so excited right now, I just have to share my testimony on this Forum.. The feeling of being loved takes away so much burden from our shoulders. I had all this but I made a big mistake when I cheated on my wife with another woman  and my wife left me for over 4 months after she found out..  I was lonely, sad and devastated. Luckily I was directed to a very powerful spell caster Dr Emu who helped me cast a spell of reconciliation on our Relationship and he brought back my wife and now she loves me far more than ever.. I'm so happy with life now. Thank you so much Dr Emu, kindly Contact  Dr Emu Today and get any kind of help you want.. Via Email emutemple@gmail.com or Call/WhatsApp +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete