Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Saturday 22 May 2010

Nearly Out Foxed!

Today it was something a little different from owls, my mate Richard Pegler had recently discovered a foxes den that had a couple of cubs! He asked if I would be interested in coming over to have a look....... how could I refuse.

We arrived mid morning and I set up my hide about 40 yards away and waited for the cubs to show. In all I was in the hide for about 2 and a half hours and during this time only one cub emerged and that was for a maximum 30 seconds. For some reason the image stabilisation didn't work and most of the images were blurred, below are four of the better images that I managed to salvage, enjoy........






After the foxes we had a trip around some of Richards little owl sites, we saw 3 owls at 3 different sites, presumably all male birds. He like me is going to be very busy soon when all the owlets emerge from the nest holes........can't wait! Many thanks Richard, I really enjoyed myself.

Finally an unusual little owl images to finish with that I took yesterday and didn't get time to process.


1 comment:

  1. It was a real pleasure, and a privilege, to have your company Paul. You're welcome at any time. I know you were frustrated at the glitch on your fox cub shots, but they're not bad!!!

    ReplyDelete