Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Friday 24 December 2010

Bemused!

New site No 140 was chanced upon earlier in the week, luckily I had the camera on board, again! I was driving back home from Northampton and decided to take the scenic route just in case anything was showing along the country lanes......and it was!!

It was located sitting on top of a gate post along a narrow lane just outside the village of Fleckney, I pulled up along side it and it didn't flinch a muscle. It actually seemed bemused by my presence (possibly star struck!!!) and there it posed nicely for a few seconds giving me "the stare".

Site No 140 - Fleckney.



An unexpected but very welcome encounter, I will hopefully return over the festive season to see if I can improve on my images, to see if I can locate the nest tree and to see if it has a mate.

No comments:

Post a Comment