Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Friday 25 March 2011

Ground Work!

Last night I made a return visit to see Glynn, the gamekeeper who I met for the first time last weekend (see old post of March 20th). We got chatting "owls" again and it was agreed that he has the perfect locations for Little Owl & Barn Owl boxes so I will be making and putting up them up very soon......

Glynn has also very kindly agreed to me erecting a quarter length telegraph pole outside the building where the Barn Owls are breeding, hopefully it will be used as a landing perch which should offer some great views and photo opportunities.......if it is used????

Whilst we were chatting away Glynn told me about a potential Little Owl site on a local farm just up the road. Mmmmm this could be a new site for me so rather than hang around for the Barn Owl to show I opted to go and introduce myself.

The owner of the farm, Bob & his daughter, Lisa were a great deal of help and pointed me in the right direction to where they thought the Little Owls might be. As the light was just starting to fade it was the perfect timing for Little Owls to emerge and "get vocal". I positioned the car at the gateway to the "likely" field and waited, it took no more than 10 seconds before the first bird was heard calling......new site 161!!!! Although I didn't actually see the owls as they were too far away and it was too dark there was no doubt in the fact that there was 2 of them calling back and forth to each other in a distant Willow tree. Bob has given me permission to return and drive my Landrover into the said field, surely it will only be a matter of time before an image from the new Little Owl site is obtained?

So no photos to show from last nights trip out but some very useful ground work, networking and preparation has been completed for some potential future images.......bring it on!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. just catching up, very positive Paul
    good luck with pics

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your Brilliant POTW on Birdguides mate!!

    ReplyDelete