Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Friday 5 April 2013

Last night re-visited

Local Barn Owl site No 18 was located last night, so this evening I decided to make the ultimate sacrifice and not go to the pub, instead I went back to see if this latest owl would show again?
 
Unlike last night when the owl first showed at eight o'clock this evening it came out at 7.43pm, a whopping 17 minutes earlier! But this 17 minutes was vital and made all the difference when it came to the light levels. I was still just about able to capture a flight shot, my settings this evening were ISO 1000, F3.5 which gave me a shutter speed of 1/400 second. I only had the one fly past but the resultant images are a massive improvement on last night but there is still a lot of room for improvement.
 

 
Two other Barn Owls were seen en route to site No 18, both out hunting but too distant to warrant stopping to try and get an image.
 
I am now having a few days off the owling, instead I am going down to Brighton for the weekend to watch the mighty Leicester City FC, come on you BLUES!!!!!!! 

1 comment:

  1. Great images given the low light and high ISO Paul, watch out for seagulls:)

    ReplyDelete