Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Saturday 28 August 2010

3 new Little Owl sites.

I was going to get up nice and early today, but you know what its like when you have had one too many the night before and the effects still haven't worn off the morning after......resulting in yet another late start!

Today was all about finding more Little Owl sites, I've been doing some homework after a bit of networking at the Birdfair and I was going to find out today if it was all worth it!

First raptor of the day was this superbly marked Kestrel, makes a change from Little Owls I suppose.



I was searching around the Saddington area and it didn't take too long before site No 116 was located. Sadly no adult birds where seen here but a very satisfying 3 juveniles.

Juvenile No 1



Juvenile No 2 


Juvenile No 3


Next owl to be located was another Juvenile also at Saddington, this territory was pretty close to the first, only two fields away.

An alert juvenile at site No 117.



The final new location of the day and new site No 118 was an adult owl near to Gumley. Sadly the image is really poor due to the distance and the fact it wouldn't come out of the confines of the nest tree.

Can you see him?


Many thanks to David Scott for the shared info on the potential sites.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Paul, Saw your stand at Birdfair, nice pictures. I have seen a Little Owl when out watching kingfishers near Portsmouth, but how do you go about finding their territory and sites? Can you give me some advice please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Russ,
    I have two main methods, firstly driving slowly around the country lanes an hour or so before dusk looking for them sitting on top of posts, telegraph poles and old buildings or secondly parking up, again at dusk and listening for them calling, I have found the best time of year is jan-mar when the male sets up his territory (go to the RSPB website as they have Little Owl recordings). Obviously you need to be in the right kind of environment i.e. open countryside, with hedgerows or walls and a scattering of isolated trees and or barns.

    Good luck and if I can be of any further help just ask!

    ReplyDelete