Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Friday 27 August 2010

Comfortable Owling!

This is going to be a brief post as I have only just got in and I have to be out again in 10 minutes, I have a pressing appointment with the landlord down at my local..........well it is Friday night you know!!!!!

Site 115 was located this evening over at Brascote in a local residents back garden. Would you believe I was even allowed to drive my Landrover all over their back lawn in an attempt to get into a decent position to get an image. This is the life I thought, I wish every site could be like this, it couldn't get any better, but it did!!!!!! Tap tap tap on my window "would you like a cup tea or coffee" how could I refuse?

Double click on any image for a slightly bigger version.

Anyway, whilst I was busy sipping away the owl showed, I managed a few images but unfortunately it was a little distant.


He came a little closer.


Closer still.


As close as he got!


A super couple of hours and another site to add to my growing list. I will return soon to try and improve on my images and to obviously sample a bit more of the lovely coffee, and you never know I may get a piece of cake next time too!!

Many thanks to the very kind residents who allowed my to churn up their lawn and thanks to Colin Green who told me about the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment