Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Sunday 25 April 2010

Andy Rouse Visit!

Hi all, nothing much to report from the last couple of days in terms of owl sightings and photography as I have been busy owl 'n' about selecting a few suitable sites in readiness for a visit by Andy Rouse. Andy is a world renowned wildlife photographer who recently contacted me asking if any of my little owl sites would be suitable for a project he has in mind based on these fantastic birds.

Andy has briefed me on specific requirements that the selected site requires, so in order to save some of his time I thought I would narrow down any potentials to try and make his final selection a little easier.  So off I went in the landrover visiting site after site and it was a little concerning how many sites I was writing off along the way as just not being quite suitable! However, I am pretty confident that Andy will be pleased with my final selection that (fingers crossed) do meet the required specifications?

In order to make some of the sites fit the bill a little pruning/removal of awkward or obstructive twigs was required, this task was made much easier thanks to me being able to clamber on top of the landrover.

Another major issue I had, which actually turned out not to be an issue at all was gaining permission to access the private land that some of the nest sites were on. After some fact finding and assistance of some very amenable local residents I finally met with the right people who were very obliging and permission was granted in all cases. Although I don't want to name names or mention exact locations may I just say a big thank you to all  those very kind and hospitable people.

Please take a look at Andy's website and blog (click here  Andy Rouse) I'm sure you will be as impressed as I was!

No comments:

Post a Comment