Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Sunday 11 April 2010

Can't see the owls for the trees!

Saturday was going to be the nicest day of the year ....so far! I couldn't let this pass by without getting out there with one main aim in mind........images of owls in flight. But before that I wanted to see if the owl I located on Friday night (site 101) was still hanging around?

Beings as it was so close to home the kids joined me in the landrover so they could come and have a quick look. As we pulled in it was good news, the bird was still there and he was on the side of the main tree trunk making the most of the glorious sunshine. A surprisingly confident bird that didn't seem bothered by our presence, maybe due to the tree being right next to the road and near to a equestrian centre?

Site 101, Whetstone Golf Club.

I am still puzzled as to where this bird has come from, was this a nomad bird just passing through my patch looking for a new territory or partner? I had previously checked that tree so many times, how could I have missed him......NO them!!!! Yes that's right, the kids had located a second bird.......Fantastic!! Now I'm not going to let where these birds came from torment me any further, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed they hang around long enough to raise a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment