Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Tuesday 6 April 2010

Intriguingly Gruesome!

Very early this morning (Tuesday) whilst returning home on foot from dropping my poorly landrover off at the garage I came across this site. It laid among the vegetation on the riverbank, well not really a river more a back water that is off the main river. It didn't take a lot of working out what it is, or rather what it was..... a jack pike.


I do not profess to be any great expert on half eaten carcasses but the only two culprits that come to mind that could perform a task like this is mink or otter. I know mink are present in the area because I have seen them but I have also heard some rumours that otter are too?

If anyone out there could shed any further light from the evidence provided as to whether they think it is mink or otter I would be very grateful. Please either post a reply on here or e-mail me at p.riddle@fluid-solutions.co.uk many thanks Paul.

UPDATE.............. I have had some good nature detectives contact me and they are coming up with similar reasoning as to what the culprit may be. The most feasible is it is more likely to be a mink as otters usually (but not always) eat the head of the fish. That's good enough for me, a shame really as I was really hoping for otter!  

No comments:

Post a Comment