Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Thursday 1 April 2010

Passion at Flair Pool - BuzzOwl Love!!!!

I had an unbelievable encounter early this morning whist down at Flair Pool. I had been there around 30 minutes sitting quietly waiting for the local little owls to show when suddenly there was such a commotion coming from behind one of the conifer bushes? I crept round camera at the ready and what unfolded before my very eyes was to say the least a once in a life time experience and a must be first for the animal kingdom! A little owl was sitting among the conifers snuggled up to, wait for it ............A BUZZARD!!!!


All was quiet and then it started again, the commotion, squawking and now wing flapping, oh my god they were mating!!!!! I managed a quick image, not the best I know but it deffo records the action (below).


After what seemed to be a very fine mating sequence, especially by the male buzzard (a very creditable 30 seconds) they both settled down again and adopted relaxed postures whilst doing a Benson & Hedges!  

What a fantastic way to start a new month, April the 1st today!!!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Brilliant !! Beats the famous spaghetti harvest!! I think that you should put this sequence up on Birdguides - maybe cut out the B&H and see if anyone takes the bait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ridiculous...but very funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How I Got My Ex Husband Back...........

    I am Shannon by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my husband after three(3) years of marriage just because another woman had a spell on him and he left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address Makospelltemple@yahoo.com , have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a woman had a spell on my husband and he told me that he will help me and after 2 days that i will have my husband back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my husband. Thanks for Dr.Mako. His email: Makospelltemple@yahoo.com OR. his phone number: +2348108737816.

    ReplyDelete