Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Monday 4 October 2010

A change of tactics!

Thank goodness for some half decent weather this evening, a cloudless sky and would you believe it the sun was even shining, a great opportunity to get out there and attempt some late in the day owl images.

The chosen location was site No 128, my most recently found site just a stones throw from home. A great setting in a local orchard, all I needed now to complete the perfect evening was for the local owls play ball and allow me to attain my first ever images of them.......if they showed?

I hopped over the fence and had a walk about the orchard to see if they were showing in the late evening sun. I zig zagged in between all the trees and eventually sighted one, albeit at distance but nevertheless it was my first owl ever image from this site.


I sensed the owl was a little nervous and wasn't going to tolerate my presence for too long. My tactics then changed, I left the orchard and returned in the Landrover, I had to play a bit of a waiting game but it payed dividends in the end when the owl returned and came closer than before when I was on foot. 

A much improved image than the first, shame about the shadow though!


Eventually it came very close, shame that the light had all but gone!


A cracking site that will hopefully offer some great photo opportunities in the future, especially now that I have worked out how to get near to them!

2 comments:

  1. Great photo's in spite of the shadow! Glad the sun came trough! I'm looking forward to the next photo's and adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Anouk, yes it was good to have the sun back, fingers crossed it hangs around for the weekend!

    ReplyDelete