Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Tuesday 5 October 2010

Eyeballed at last!

I had a brief run out over to the Kilby area tonight, checked out six Little Owl territories but only saw birds at two sites, No's 19 & 119. The only image I managed was from site No 19, a very relaxed owl!


It was good news at site No 119 though, although a relatively new site this was the first time I have actually seen one of the resident owls here, all previous encounters where "heard only".  Then just as I was departing I heard another Little Owl call from a couple of fields away, only this one was in totally the opposite direction to the one I had been watching, hmmmmmm, could it be a new site???? Watch this space.......................

3 comments:

  1. just been catching up

    it'll be interesting to compare this years slices of coloured pie on the chart with the one detailing next years results. . .

    looks like you have plenty of hedgerow trees on your patch, but i wonder if any of your birds are nesting in, or close to the ground ?

    - we have several pairs in rabbit burrows, within piles of bricks/rubble & holes in railway embankments.

    This get inspired reading this " OATT" - must get my blog underway again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my 1st word last line should be "Still"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ya Stevie, good to hear from you again, I thought there must have been a problem at your end as you havn't updated your Blog for a while?
    I guess you just got fed up with it??
    I am not aware of any local Little Owls nesting on or near the floor, too many natural sites in the Ash trees (we have 1,000's of them!). I don't want to appear thick, but what does "OATT" mean????????? And yes you should start blogging again!

    ReplyDelete