Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Monday 11 October 2010

Leapfrogging!

Didn't have a lot time tonight to do much owling but the time I did have was very rewarding! First of all I re-checked out the relatively new site No 116 at Saddington, two Little Owls here. I then moved on a mile or so down the road to Smeeton Westerby, I'd seen a really good looking site on a previous visit so the tactics tonight was to park up just before dusk and wait to see if anything showed.........and it did! 

Just as the light had about abated I heard a Little Owls calling, terrific new site No 130! It was too dark to see them though, but after several minutes the calls got closer and then I could just about make them out on a roadside post. In time they leaptfrogged each other along the line of posts towards the car, eventually they sat together literally 10 feet from me. It was far too dark for any images so my only chance was with the aid of the flash, it was very frustrating because as the owls sat together being perfect subjects I just couldn't focus on them, dam and blast a great opportunity lost!!!

Nevertheless, another new site and some superb views, I'm sure there will be another photo opportunity............very very soon!

2 comments:

  1. Great to see you keep finding new sites, Keep up the great work mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Ben, lets hope they come out and show themselves when you visit!

    ReplyDelete