Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Sunday 3 October 2010

DAMP!!!!!!!

What a frustrating Sunday it has been so far, the weather here in Leicestershire has been absolutely atrocious over the last 24hrs with almost no let up in the rain, resulting in being totally bored and house bound!

So I thought I would make the most of the "inactive" time doing some tiding up of my images and files on the PC. I have been collating some info on my Little Owls and here is a pie chart showing the variety of nest locations I have so far found, I think it is self explanatory..........

Nest locations, double click on it for larger version.


Fingers crossed for some finer weather soon, can't do with not getting "owl n about"!!!!

6 comments:

  1. My fingers are crossed for better weather over there! Anouk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for keeping your fingers crossed Anouk, I hope it works otherwise I might start doing something stupid like DIY.......NOT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paul. Very interesting stuff - thank you for sharing it with us.

    I appreciate your frustrations! This is my first 'free' day, having finished that damned roof. I was looking forward to a day birding/owling today, but it's not to be - a whole month with virtually no birding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Started my last comment before lunch and finished it after - in the meantime you'd replied to Anouk's comment. Yep, - I'm the idiot that does DIY before birding!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeh but think of the brownie points you have been totting up with the good lady Richard!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is very interesting, I would never have guest that Ash would be the most used Tree. For some reason I just thought Oak would have come out top.

    ReplyDelete