Hi and welcome to my Blog, my name is Paul Riddle and I live in south Leicestershire, UK. Back in August 2007 my quest began to locate as many local Little Owl territories as possible. The driving force was a reported decline in the uk numbers so I thought I would do my bit and conduct a study in my area. After 7 years and countless hours out in the field I have detected over 200 different sites. With a thirst for a greater understanding of the owls a more comprehensive monitoring and nest box programme then commenced. This also now includes monitoring the local and very sparse population of Barn Owls, please pop back occasionally and catch up with the life and times of my owls and any other wildlife that I come across. I hope you enjoy your visit!!!

Sunday 31 October 2010

North Facing!

I was to be found owl 'n' about again yesterday afternoon, although very windy the light levels were excellent so a few obliging owls should make it a good day in terms of images.

First stop was site No 79 near to Peatling Magna, I have never managed a "daytime" image from this site before so with the conditions in my favour I was hoping. After an hours wait sitting in the Landrover I was rewarded when a Little Owl showed itself at the nest hole entrance.  


He popped out briefly to do some wing stretching, it was a shame though as too many branches were obscuring my line of sight to get good images. To make matters even harder the nest hole faces north so the sun was never on the owl. I'm not complaining though as these were my best daytime views of the owl at this site.


Next stop was just down the road in the centre of Peatling Magna and site No 68. Again I had to wait a while but sure enough an owl showed in the end, and would you believe it,  the light was in totally the wrong direction again!!!!


This owl didn't hang around long, 2 minutes of good views and then straight back into it's nest hole. I think it was the wind that was keeping them in today, Little Owls just don't like the wind!



No comments:

Post a Comment